Saturday, April 24, 2010

Diagnosis: Convention Burnout


How many conventions is too many conventions?  Hmm, I'd say three in one month.  I sit writing this out of a hotel room in Rochester, New York, and I am too tired to drag myself back to the convention at RIT (Tora-Con).  No really, I'm too tired - I've got circles to rival L from Death Note (see above).


It is really a pity I'm so run down.  The guests are a great group, especially considering it is only a two-day con.  The roster includes Johnny Yong Bosch (Ichigo from Bleach, Claus from Last Exile, Vash from Trigun, etc., etc., etc.) and the most fantastic Funimation voice actors Monica Rial (too many appearances to even begin to list), Chris Sabat (of DBZ fame, and the Strong Arm Alchemist in FMA), and Eric Vale (the most excellent Kanta of the Desert in Desert Punk, and Ryusuke from BECK). 


But great guests or not, this Rochester trip comes after having journeyed to Columbus the first weekend in April for Anime Punch!  (which ended up as a disappointement as one of the two voice actors scheduled to be there had to cancel due to illness).  Then a trip to Pittsburgh for Tekkoshocon (a really great convention, with a fantastic lineup of guests - happily, they also had a premium registration that allowed priority in some lines).  Then it was to here, Rochester.  And that doesn't include my March trip to A&G Ohio in Cincinnati. 


I've had enough of driving.  Enough of my books on CD.  Enough poring over anime credits on animenewsnetwork.com so I can then extract DVD covers and boxsets to bring for autographing.  And definitely enough schlepping workout gear from hotel to hotel.  Not to mention MORE than enough fast food and artery-clogging fare.


A big reason I have been going to conventions is to meet the voice actors who have brought various characters (who have thoroughly entertained me) to life.  And to get autographs on various DVDs in which their chameleon-like voices appear.  But I am SO tired of waiting in line.  And of being told "only two items for signing."  And though a part of me loves my fellow anime fans, another part of me wants to frankly give some of them fashion advice on their cosplay selections (please, PLEASE choose characters for which your body-type somewhat matches -- I do not wish to see someone with the figure of Sloth of FMA dressing up as Revy from Black Lagoon).  I also have had just about enough of hearing a long-time anime otaku sneering at a "newbie" who hasn't seen whatever anime the "expert" believes to be the best thing ever made. 


Rules going forward - I think no more than one convention every 4-6 weeks (if that).  Definitely only cons that offer a Friday with autographs (when the crowds are not yet fully formed) and preferably cons that offer premium/platinum/VIP or other exalted registrations (with preferential admission to events).  I am more than willing to shell out some extra cash to get in line first.  What can I say - I think money should buy privileges.  And I'll keep thinking so up until I can no longer afford such privileges. 


Thankfully, May is a convention-free month for me.  The next con I'm considering is Colossalcon - and that takes place at Cedar Point and does not involve the tiring 4-hour drive I undertook after work on Friday or a middling hotel room with an abbreviated channel selection.  Ah, a few weekends at home means I will actually have time to WATCH anime, which is something that I have not had much free time to engage in lately. 


Back to basics.  Me, a room that isn't in a hotel, and a great anime DVD.  Sounds like a plan for May.

No comments:

Post a Comment