Wednesday, May 5, 2010

I'm Not Sure What I See in You . . . .

I can remember multiple times in the past when I developed a superficial crush on someone and, for the life of me, I could not understand what I saw in them.  In retrospect, the mystery of my attraction to these individuals often became more inscrutable, rather than less (both to myself and to friends).

I periodically get the same inexplicable interest in an anime series.  I couldn't explain to another anime fan or a friend what exactly drew me to a series, or even why I continue to watch it.  I liken this phenomenon to my abiding and equally inexplicable taste for and enjoyment of junk food.  I know that junk food (be it McDonald's fries, Ruffles potato chips, Hershey's candy bars, or any variety of gummy candies) is nutritionally deficient; that the sugar and/or calories and/or fat involved in consuming those "food" items is in no way compensated by the vitamins, minerals or other nutrition I manage to glean from them. 

Like junk food, I sometimes find myself watching anime series that have few redeeming qualities and are, in the truest sense of the word, purely entertainment.  Most, if not all, of these shows are formulaic, boasting minimal (if any) character development, the shallowest of romances, and the flimsiest of plot lines (with almost all "twists" clearly foreshadowed and telegraphed by the characters and the music).  No real surprises, no epiphanies, no moments of grandeur or deep thoughts inspired.  The ultimate in disposable media. 



Shows like Best Student Council - a truly odd high school comedy, where the main character starts at the most elite of high schools and has a tough time fitting in.  This isn't made any easier by the fact that she has a puppet which is almost always has on her hand.  Of course, this puppet has its own consciousness and personality .... no, really.  Despite her puppet and inescapable clumsiness, she perseveres and succeeds, due mostly to her sunny and positive disposition!


Or Angelic Layer - where a decidedly annoying middle school protagonist finds that she is wonderful at a virtual reality game and succeeds due to her sunny and positive disposition ... oh, and finds her long lost mother in the process.

Take Stellvia - another middle school protagonist and a vaguely explained recurring threat to Earth.  The  protagonist succeeds due to her - you guessed it - sunny and positive disposition.  Oh, and despite her innocence and apparent trouble in school, she turns out to be a genius!

Most perplexing, I've watched Daphne in the Brilliant Blue - populated by ridiculously busty protagonists wearing even more ridiculous outfits, if the word "outfit" is the correct term to refer to outfits that look like strategically placed strips of duct tape, the skimpiest of bathing suits, or devices for showing as much of the female body as is possible without turning a show into hentai.  The main protagonist, innocent despite her INSANE bust-line, succeeds due to her sunny and positive disposition --- sensing a theme here?

I told you.  RIDICULOUS.

Then you have the variety of shows which are less obnoxious, but I couldn't really tell you why I think it is fun to watch.  And unlike the shows above (which only span a single season, about 24-26 episodes), these shows go one or two or dozens of seasons.  Shows like Hunter x Hunter, which spans 62 episodes and is eminently good-natured.  It follows a young boy and his compatriots as they attempt to become "hunters" (which are individuals who are often similar to mercenaries, though they don't have to have a typical mercenary personality; and they are experts in any number of areas, always clever and capable, great fighters, etc.).  The show isn't particularly exciting, the story lines take a long time to unfurl.  But it is somewhat comforting to turn it on and know just what you're going to get.

Similarly, One Piece (a veritable never-ending show, with 458 episodes) has extended story lines and a good-natured feeling.  It is more exciting than Hunter, but there is still a certain predictability (hell, how can something with hundreds of episodes not devolve into predictability?); the characters are more colorful, but it has an old-school feel to it.  It helps that it is a crew of honorable pirates, traversing a dangerous ocean, meeting the most outrageous of villains.  You can pop in a DVD after a long hiatus and know exactly where you are (even if you've never been to that particular island and never seen that particular oddity).

So while I'm not sure what I see in these shows, I guess they are like comfort food.  Sometimes you want to plug in and tune out.  Such shows, though never destined to be on a "Best of" list or something you insist someone must watch, have their place.  And the next time I find myself unable to engage my brain or feel invested in a character, I can always watch one more disk of One Piece, get lost on the Going Merry (their pirate ship), kick back and relax.


No comments:

Post a Comment